I’m presently writing a book 1,000 Thank Yous. To warm up for this I chose to write one thank you note per day for 60 days. The good ol’ fashion long hand kind. I suppose, unknowingly, I “signed up” to do a deep inquiry about the nature of gratitude. What did my 60-day Thank You note practice teach me? What did I learn? Ten Truths of Thank You.
1) Offering gratitude is a BIG gift to those on the receiving end. They are re-minded of the Glory of their true nature. Their absolute pitch perfect brilliance mirrored back with crystal clarity.
2) This blessing is contagious. You see your glory, you mirror that to the next person. And this cascades to the next one like a holy waterfall. Creating a generous, limitless flow of abundance and love. (Perhaps this is the original River Story. “And a river flows from Eden to water the garden.” Now and now and now.)
3) Instant Karma! The blessing comes right back to me. I’m tuned into the love channel, the good dream, the abundance stream, and this is one graced place to hang out for the day.
4) I become a fountain of blessing. A blessing queen. All of us are this, and it is a most excellent way to serve the Holy One with Joy!
5) I am increasingly aware of the radical gift of life. Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel’s teaching becomes palpable: I begin to live in embodied awareness of the “mystery, wonder, and awe of creation.” *
6) Gratitude practice, increasing our awareness of the generosity and vulnerability of life reveals this: now is always the right time to speak the truth about love.
7) It’s a radical (subversive?) act this simple practice of thanks-giving not one day,** but each and every day of the year. In our BDD – blessing deficit disorder – culture we bring a deep, fundamental and life-transforming message. Our true birthright? Original Blessing.***
Let’s implement Plan B.
8) It’s a subversive act because in spreading this contagious gift of blessing, we create a culture of inter-dependency, connectivity, safety and satiation. It fills our true hungers, our cups to overflowing. Thus keeping us out of the Mall and free of the false gods of compulsion and addiction that might otherwise take us down.
9) And as we go, so goes the Earth with us: we destroy her through our addictions. Or we heal her through our blessing. It’s that simple
10) Simple, courageous, paradigm-busting, life-giving, honey in the heart sweet!****This attitude of gratitude. This orientation to appreciation. This practice of Thank you.
*Thanks Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel for the poetry that life is about, “Radical Amazement at the Mystery, Wonder and Awe of Creation.”
** Thanks Jewish tradition for the morning prayers that begin each and every day with thank you. “Modah Anee Lifanecha.” I bow in gratitude before You.
*** Thanks Matthew Fox for the term Original Blessing
**** Thanks Martin Prechtel for sharing the Mayan teaching of “honey in the heart.”
***** Thanks Shefa Gold for teaching “spiritual practice” and for modeling this in so many ways including via her Song of Songs.